Panzerbeobachtungswagen IV

The Panzerbeobachtungswagen IV was an artillery observation vehicle based on the Panzer IV. Work on it began in September 1943, and it was hoped that production would begin in April 1944. The Pz Beob Wg IV featured the same commander’s cupola at the StuG III, with seven periscopes instead of the vision slits of the normal Panzer. A SF14Z scissors periscope was fitted, which could be raised without opening the cupola. The vehicle was also equipped with artillery plotting equipment and three radio sets. To make space for this the turret machine gun was removed. The Pz Beob Wg IV was used by Wespe and Hummel units.

Stats
90 converted to Pz Beob Wg from July 1944-March 1945
Hull Length: 7.02m
Hull Width: 2.88m
Height: 2.68m
Crew: 5
Weight: 25 tons   
Engine: Maybach HL120TRM & TRM112
Max Speed: 40km/hr
Max Range:  210km
Armament: One 7.5cm KwK40 L/48 and two 7.92mm MG13s

Names
Panzerbeobachtungswagen IV
Pz Beob Wg IV

Armour

Armour

Front

Side

Rear

Top/ Bottom

Turret

 50mm/ 2.0in

 30mm/ 1.2in

30mm/ 1.2in

 15mm/ 0.6in

Superstructure

 80mm/ 3.2in

 30mm/ 1.2in

20mm/ 0.8in

 12mm/ 0.5in

Hull

 80mm/ 3.2in

 30mm/ 1.2in

20mm/ 0.8in

 10mm/ 0.4in

Gun mantlet

 50mm/ 2.0in

 

 

 

WWII Home Page | WWII Subject Index | WWII Books | WWII Links | Day by Day

Bookmark this page: Bookmark with Delicious  Delicious  Bookmark with Facebook  Facebook   Bookmark with StumbleUpon  StumbleUpon

How to cite this article: Rickard, J (25 July 2008), Panzerbeobachtungswagen IV , http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_panzerbeobachtungswagen_IV.html

Help - F.A.Q. - Contact Us - Search - Recent - About Us -  Subscribe in a reader - Join our Google Group - Cookies