Panzerbefehlswagen IV

The Panzerbefehlswagen IV was a command vehicle based on the Panzer IV medium tank. It was only developed when the supply of similar vehicles based on the Panzer III began to run dry in the spring of 1944. The vehicle was equipped with three radios – the FuG 8 and FuG 5 for communication with headquarters and with tanks and the FuG 7 for communication with aircraft. Each of these radios needed its own antenna – the Fu 8 had a star aerial at the right-rear of the tank, the FuG 5 a 2 meter rod aerial on the turret roof and the FuG 7 a 1.4 meter aerial at the rear left.

Names
Panzerbefehlswagen mit 7.5cm KwK L/48
Panzerbefehlswagen IV
Pz Bef Wg IV
Sd Kfz 267

Stats
97 converted to Bz Bef Wg March-September 1944
Hull Length: 7.02m
Hull Width: 2.88m
Height: 2.68m
Crew: 5
Weight: 25 tons   
Engine: Maybach HL120TRM & TRM112
Max Speed: 40km/hr
Max Range:  210km
Armament: One 7.5cm KwK40 L/48 and two 7.92mm MG13s

Armour

Armour

Front

Side

Rear

Top/ Bottom

Turret

 50mm/ 2.0in

 30mm/ 1.2in

30mm/ 1.2in

 15mm/ 0.6in

Superstructure

 80mm/ 3.2in

 30mm/ 1.2in

20mm/ 0.8in

 12mm/ 0.5in

Hull

 80mm/ 3.2in

 30mm/ 1.2in

20mm/ 0.8in

 10mm/ 0.4in

Gun mantlet

 50mm/ 2.0in

 

 

 

WWII Home Page | WWII Subject Index | WWII Books | WWII Links | Day by Day

Bookmark this page: Bookmark with Delicious  Delicious  Bookmark with Facebook  Facebook   Bookmark with StumbleUpon  StumbleUpon

How to cite this article: Rickard, J (25 July 2008), Panzerbefehlswagen IV , http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_panzerbefehlswagen_IV.html

Help - F.A.Q. - Contact Us - Search - Recent - About Us -  Subscribe in a reader - Join our Google Group - Cookies