Production began at State Aircraft Plant No.84, in Moscow, before the German invasion forced production to move to Tashket. The aircraft was designated the PS-84 until 17 September 1942, and then became the Lisunov Li-2.
The cargo door on the Li-2 was moved forward, placing it just behind the wing trailing edge, and was a different shape to the standard C-47 door. Passenger transports had their door on the starboard side.
Early aircraft were powered by the 900hp Shvetsov M-62 radial engine, a Soviet development of the Shvetsov M-24, itself a licence-built version of the Wright R-1820 Cyclone. Later aircraft received the 1,200hp ASh-62. The engine cowlings were modified to take these engines.
A number of Li-2s were armed with up to three machine guns, one in a manually powered dorsal turret that could be armed with either a 12.7mm or 7.62mm machine gun, while two more guns could be mounted in windows positioned behind the cargo door. The armed version of the Li-2 was sometimes used as a night bomber, carrying 4,000lb of bombs below the wing centre section or rockets under the outer wings.
Nearly 3,000 Li-2s were constructed during the Second World War, and production continued for some time after the war. The Li-2 remained in use in the Soviet Union until the 1970s, and was also used in large numbers by Eastern Bloc countries.
Engines: Shvetsov M-62 x2
Wing span: 94ft 10 3/16in
Length: 64ft 5 5/8in
Empty weight: 16,976lb
Loaded weight: 23,589lb
Maximum weight: 24,868lb
Maximum speed: 174mph
Cruising speed: 137mph
Service ceiling: 18,375ft