Curtiss P-36C

The Curtiss P-36C was the second and final production version of the P-36 built for the US Army Air Corps. It differed from the P-36A in having a more powerful 1,200hp Pratt & Whitney R-1830-17 engine, and in carrying two 0.30in machine guns in the wings, giving it a total of four machine guns. The ammo boxes for the extra guns were carried in streamlined boxes below the wings, an unusual configuration that wasn't used for the wing guns on the export versions of the fighter. This still left it poorly armed compared to its European contemporaries, but was a significant improvement.

The 85th P-36A became the prototype P-36C in December 1938. The last thirty aircraft in the original production order, nos. 38-181 to 38-210 were completed as P-36Cs. The fate of 38-179 and 38-180 is unclear, as 38-178 is normally said to have been the last P-36A.

Engine: Pratt & Whitney R-1830-17
Power: 1,200hp
Crew: 1
Wing span: 37ft 3.5in
Length: 28ft 10in
Height: 9ft 3in
Empty Weight: 4,619lb
Armament: Four machine guns, one .50in and three .30in

Air War Home Page - Air War Index - Air War Links - Air War Books
WWII Home Page - WWII Subject Index - WWII Links - WWII Books - Day by Day

How to cite this article: Rickard, J (21 December 2009), Curtiss P-36C , http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_curtiss_P-36C.html

Help - F.A.Q. - Contact Us - Search - Recent - About Us -  Subscribe in a reader - Join our Google Group - Cookies