HMS Carysfort

HMS Carysfort was a Caroline class light cruisers that spent part of the First World War with the Harwich Force. She entered service with the 4th Light Cruiser Squadron of the Grand Fleet in August 1915, taking part in the hunt for the German minelayer Meteor later in the same month. In April 1916 she transferred to the 5th Light Cruiser Squadron at Harwich, relieving HMS Conquest.

Commodore Reginald Tyrwhitt (1870-1951)
Commodore
Reginald Tyrwhitt
(1870-1951)

The Harwich Force was always busy, engaged on cruiser sweeps into the North Sea, protecting mine layers or patrolling the remaining trade routes. On 22-23 July 1916 Carysfort took part in a mission to protect the Dutch trade, acting as the flagship of Commodore Tyrwhitt and leading four “M” class destroyers. This force clashed with three German destroyers, but despite the presence of two light cruisers was unable to sink any of the German ships.
 
The Carysfort was at sea during the August sortie of the battle fleets, with the 5th Light Cruiser Squadron and 18 destroyers. In October 1916 she was detached to Dover, with four “L” class destroyers, to guard against an increased German presence at Zeebrugge.

In October 1917 Carysfort and the Harwich cruisers were sent to patrol part of the southern North Sea during efforts to find the German fleet as it attacked a Scandinavian convoy.  Later that year, she returned to the Grand Fleet, as flagship of the 7th Light Cruiser Squadron.

During 1915 the Carysfort was one of a number of cruisers to be given a forecastle aircraft runway, designed to carry a French monoplane for use against Zeppelins. The aircraft was not fast enough to catch the German airships, and the platform was removed early in 1916.  During 1916-1917 the 13pdr AA gun was replaced by two 3in/20cwt anti-aircraft guns.

HMS Carysfort had an active post-war career. During 1919-1920 she was sent to the Baltic. During 1921-22 she was part of the Atlantic Fleet, patrolling Irish waters during the 1922 civil war. She was part of the naval force sent to Turkey during their war with Greece (1922-23). In 1927 she became flagship of the Devonport Reserve. In 1929 she was used to ship troops to China, then became Senior Naval Officer’s ship in the Devonport Reserve until replaced by HMS Comus in 1930.

Displacement (loaded)

4,733t

Top Speed

28.5kts

Armour – deck

1in

 - belt

3in-1in

 - conning tower

6in

Length

446ft

Armaments

Two 6in Mk XII guns
Eight 4in quick firing Mk IV guns
One 13pdr anti-aircraft gun
Four 3pdr guns
Four 21in above-water torpedo tubes

Crew complement

301

Launched

14 November 1914

Completed

June 1915

Sold for break up

1931

Captains

Wintour
Domvile
Lane

Flag of

Commodore Tyrwhitt

Books on the First World War | Subject Index: First World War

How to cite this article: Rickard, J (24 October 2007), HMS Carysfort , http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_HMS_Carysfort.html

Help - F.A.Q. - Contact Us - Search - Recent - About Us -  Subscribe in a reader - Join our Google Group - Cookies