North American F-6 Mustang

Nearly 500 P-51 Mustangs were built or converted to perform the tactical reconnaissance role under the F-6 designation. The F-6A was the first version of the Mustang to see active service with the USAAF, flying its first missions from Tunisia with the 154th Observation Squadron in April 1943. The RAF also used a number of their Mustangs at photographic reconnaissance aircraft.

The majority of F-6s carried two K-24 cameras, in two different configurations. In version of the F-6 based on the P-51 to P-51C, an oblique camera was placed in the back of the cockpit, with another vertical camera placed in the fuselage behind the radiator.

In the F-6D and F-6K, based on the bubble canopied P-51D and P-51K, the oblique camera also had to be placed in the rear fuselage, being placed just above the vertical camera.

Designation

Based On

Number Produced

F-6A

P-51

55

F-6B

P-51A

35

F-6C-NA

P-51B

71

F-6C-NT

P-51C

20

F-6D

P-51D-NT

136

F-6K

P-51K

164

Air War Index - Air War Links - Air War Books

How to cite this article: Rickard, J (7 June 2007), North American F-6 Mustang, http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_F-6_Mustang.html

Delicious Save this on Delicious

Help - F.A.Q. - Contact Us - Search - Recent - About Us -  Subscribe in a reader - Join our Google Group