The AMX R 40 was an improved version of the Renault R35, the most numerous French tank in 1940.
In August 1936 the French government partially nationalised many of the large armament firms. Renault’s tank division became the Atelier de Construction d’Issy-les-Moulineaux, or AMX. The new AMX concern was thus responsible for the development of the AMX R40.
The R40 used the same APX-R cast turret as the Renault R35 and the Hotchkiss H35 and H39. Most used the long-barrelled 1938 Model 37mm gun, although only 500 of these were produced and they were shared with the Hotchkiss H39.
The new suspension had twelve small road wheels on each side. These were mounted in pairs which were carried on six vertical coil springs. Three working beams each carried four wheels and pivoted on their centres. The new suspension was designed to improve road running.
By May 1940 the French Army had 2,691 light tanks, a mix of the R35, AMX R40, Hotchkiss H35 and Hotchkiss H39. All of the R40s had entered service since the start of the war. Enough were in service to equip two tank battalions for the campaign of 1940.
The AMX R 40 was also known as the Renault R40.
Hull Length: 13ft 9in
Hull Width: 6ft 2in
Height: 7ft 2in
Weight: 12.5 tonnes
Max Speed: 20kph
Max Range: 140km
Armament: 37mm gun and one machine gun