Aircraft - Locations - Group and Duty - Books
No.426 "Thunderbird" Squadron was a RCAF squadron formed in Britain on 15 October 1942 as part of No.4 Group, Bomber Command. The squadron transferred to the newly formed No.6 (RCAF) Group on 1 January 1943, before flying its first mission on 14 January.
In June 1943 the squadron became one of the small number to use the Hercules powered Lancaster B.Mk II, using on operations from 17 August 1943 to 1 May 1944. The Lancasters were replaced by the Halifax B.Mk III, and operations resumed on 7 May. The squadron operated the Halifax with the main bomber force until the end of the war in Europe.
In June 1944 the squadron was transferred to Transport Command and converted to Liberator, operating that aircraft on long range trooping flights to India and the Middle East until the squadron disbanded on the last day of 1945.
October 1942-June 1943: Vickers Wellington III
March-July 1943: Vickers Wellington X
June 1943-May 1944: Avro Lancaster Mk II
April 1944 to June 1944: Handley Page Halifax B.Mk III
June 1944 to May 1945: Handley Page Halifax B.Mk VI
December 1944 to May 1945: Handley Page Halifax B.Mk III
July 1945-December 1945: Liberator VI and VIII
15 October 1942-18 June 1943: Dishforth
18 June 1943-25 May 1945: Linton-on-Ouse
25 May 1945-25 June 1945: Driffield
25 June-31 December 1945: Tempsford
Squadron Codes: OW
Date: Bomber squadron with No 6 (RCAF) Grou
Bookmark this page: Delicious Facebook StumbleUpon