Aircraft - Locations - Group and Duty - Books
No.158 Squadron was formed during the great wartime expansion of Bomber Command, from the home echelon of No.104 Squadron (after the air echelon moved to the Mediterranean). It would later play its own role in that expansion when C Flight was used to form No.640 Squadron.
After a short period operating the Vickers Wellington, in June 1942 No.158 converted to the Handley Page Halifax, retaining that aircraft for the rest of the war. Other than a short break to support the Normandy invasions in 1944 the squadron spent the entire war as part of the strategic bomber force. In June 1945 the squadron was transfered to Transport Command, and began to convert to the Stirling V transport. The squadron survived for long enough to begin flying troops out to India and the Middle East, before disbanding on the last day of 1945.
February 1942-June 1942: Vickers Wellingon II
June 1942-January 1944: Handley Page Halifax B.Mk II
January 1944-June 1945: Handley Page Halifax B.Mk III
April 1945 to July 1945: Handley Page Halifax B.MK VI
14 February-4 June 1942: Driffield
4 June-6 November 1942: East Moor
6 November 1942-28 February 1943: Rufforth
28 February 1943-17 August 1945: Lissett
17 August-31 December 1945: Stradishall
Squadron Codes: NP
By June 1942 to 7 May 1945: Bomber squadron with No.4 Group
From 7 May 1945: To Transport Command
Bookmark this page: Delicious Facebook StumbleUpon