The Vickers Valentia was the name given to a strengthened version of the Vickers Victoria troop transport, powered by two Pegasus engines. Work on replacing the Napier Lion engines of the Victoria with the Bristol Pegasus began in 1932, and would produce both the Victoria VI and the Valentia.
The combination of the existing Victoria airframe and Pegasus engines produced an aircraft capable of flying at weights of up to 18,000lb. This did not use all of the power provided by the Pegasus engines, and so a stronger airframe and undercarriage was developed. With the new airframe in place the Pegasus engines could lift 19,500lb. It was decided to call aircraft with the new airframe the Vickers Valentia, probably to avoid any danger of overloading a standard Victoria. Aircraft with the new engines but the old airframe became Victoria VIs.
Twenty eight Valentias were built from new, and another 54 were produced by modernising existing Victorias. The Valentia entered service with No.70 Squadron in the Middle East in 1934 and with No.216 Squadron in 1935. They remained in service until 1941, taking part in the early stages of the war in North Africa, while aircraft of No.31 Squadron took part in the fighting in Iraq during 1941.
Engine: Two x Bristol Pegasus IIM3
Crew: 2 plus 22 fully equipped troops
Wing span: 87ft 4in
Length: 59ft 6in
Height: 17ft 9in
Empty weight: 10,995lb
Gross weight: 19,500lb
Maximum speed: 120mph at 5,000ft
Range: 800 miles