Morane-Saulnier M.S.730

The Morane-Saulnier M.S.730 was the first prototype for a basic trainer that eventually entered French service as the M.S.733 Alcyon (Kingfisher). The M.S.730 was a low-wing monoplane powered by a Mathis 8G.30 inverted V-8 engine, variously given as providing 180hp or 240hp. The wings had a slight dihedral, while the crew of two or three sat under a single smoothly curved cockpit canopy. The M.S.730 had fixed cantilevered landing gear.

The aircraft looked notably more modern than the earlier Morane-Saulnier M.S.470 Vanneau and its successors, despite only being designed five years later. The sole M.S.730 made its maiden flight on 11 August 1949. It was then re-engined with a Argus As 10 engine and when it next flew had been redesignated as the M.S.731.

Air War Index - Air War Links - Air War Books

How to cite this article: Rickard, J (13 January 2014), Morane-Saulnier M.S.730 , http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_morane_saulnier_MS730.html

Help - F.A.Q. - Contact Us - Search - Recent - About Us -  Subscribe in a reader - Join our Google Group - Cookies