The Fokker D.VI was one of two Fokker aircraft to enter production after the first German fighter contest of January-February 1918. It was based on the Fokker V.13 prototype, a biplane fighter powered by an Oberursal UR.II engine. Fokker had designed the aircraft around the more powerful but less reliable UR.III, but the senior pilots present at the fighter contest insisted on the use of the older engine.
The success of the Fokker D.VII doomed the D.VI to obscurity. In February 1918 Fokker received an order for 300 D.VIIs, and a much smaller one for D.VIs. Larger orders were to be placed when more powerful rotary engines became available to power the type, but by the time those engines appeared, production of the D.VII had the highest priority. Only 59 D.VIs were accepted by the German army, serving with training and home defence units.
Span: 25ft 1in
Length: 20ft 5in
Engine: Oberursal UR.II
Max Speed: 122mph
Time to 3,300ft: 2.5 minutes
Time to 16,000ft: 19 minutes
Armament: Two forward firing LMG 08/15 machine guns