The Boeing Model 76 was an export version of the Model 75 'Kaydet' trainer, given more powerful engines and light armament and used as combat trainers and attack aircraft.
The Model 76 was almost structurally identical to the Model 75, sharing the same construction methods. The fuselage used welded steel tubes, the wings had a wooden framework, and it was fabric covered. It was a two-seat single bay unequal span biplane.
The biggest difference was that the Model 76 was armed, and could carry one or two fixed forward firing machine guns, one flexibly mounted machine gun and up to 120lb of bombs. It could also carry more fuel, and used more powerful engines (normally 320-400hp with full cowlings).
The Model 76 was produced in five versions, and a total of 78 were sold.
The Model 76B4 was armed with all three machine guns but carried no bombs. It was powered by a 320hp Wright R-760-E2 engine. Five were sold to Venezuela, and were delivered in November 1941.
The Model 76D1 was powered by a 320hp Pratt & Whitney Wasp Jr engine. It could be identified by the series of 'bumps' around the engine cowling.
Nineteen 76D1s were sold. The first ten went to Argentina in June 1936. Three were sold to the Philippines in March 1937. The last six were sold to Argentina in August 1937.
The Model 76D3 was powered by a 400hp Wasp Jr engine. Twenty four were sold to the Philippines. The first six carried a single wing gun and could carry a camera and were delivered in September 1938. The last 18 were all delivered by September 1939, without the camera mounting.
The A76C3 was powered by a 420hp Wright R-975-E3 engine and carried a single wing gun and extra fuel. Fifteen were delivered to Brazil in May-July 1937.
The B76C3 followed on from the A76C3, with fifteen delivered to Brazil in July-October 1937. They were powered by the same Wright engine. The main difference was the installation of Fairchild K-3B cameras.