Blonde class scout cruisers

Wars Battles Biographies Timeline Weapons Blog
Full Index Subjects Concepts Country Documents Pictures & Maps

The Blonde class scout cruisers were improved versions of the Boadicea class, built at the same dockyard in Pembroke. They were slightly bigger ships – 6 inches wider, 50 tonnes heavier and half a knot slower, and were armed with 10 4in guns. Like the earlier ships they carried two guns in front of the bridge and two on the centre line towards the rear of the ship, along with three on each side. This layout was later adopted for the Boadicea class ships.

Like the earlier ships the Blonde class scout cruisers were too slow to perform their original duties. By the time they were completed the majority of new destroyers could reach at least 27 knots, making then two and a half knots quicker than the ships meant to lead them.

Both the Blonde and the Blanche began their service careers with destroy flotillas, Blonde as senior officers ship for the 7th Flotilla and Blanche with the 1st Destroyer Flotilla. During the First World War they served with the Grand Fleet, and Blanche was present at Jutland. By the end of the war they had both been converted to minelayers.

Displacement (loaded)

3,850t

Top Speed

24.5kts

Armour – deck

1.5in

 - conning tower

4in

Length

405ft

Armaments

Ten 4in 50 calibre Mk VIII guns
Four 3pdr guns
Two 21in deck mounted torpedo tubes, port and starboard

Crew complement

314

Launched

1909-1910

Completed

1910-1911

Ships in class

HMS Blonde
HMS Blanche

Books on the First World War | Subject Index: First World War

How to cite this article: Rickard, J (19 September 2007), Blonde class scout cruisers , http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_blonde_class_cruisers.html

Delicious Save this on Delicious

Help - F.A.Q. - Contact Us - Search - Recent - About Us -  Subscribe in a reader

Google Groups Subscribe to History of War
Email:
Browse Archives at groups.google.co.uk