HMS Bellona

HMS Bellona was a Boadicea class scout cruiser, originally built to work with the destroyer flotillas. In 1909 she became the Senior Officer’s ship of the 2nd Flotilla, made up of 25.5kt River class destroyers, and was already only just fast enough to cope. When these destroyers were replaced by Acorn class destroyers capable of reaching 27kts, the Bellona was too slow to keep up with her own flotilla and in 1912 she was removed from the flotilla.

In August 1914 she joined the Grand Fleet, and was attached to the First Battle Squadron at Scapa Flow (each battleship squadron had a single light cruiser attached). She was present at the battle of Jutland (31 May-1 June 1916), although did not make any significant contribution to the fight – as the battle fleet approached the fighting the light cruisers were sent to the rear to put them out of harms way.

In June 1917 the Bellona was converted to a minelayer. In that capacity she carried out four missions, laying 306 mines. She was paid off in 1919.  

Displacement (loaded)

3,800t

Top Speed

25kts

Armour – deck

1in over machinery

 - conning tower

4in

Length

405ft

Armaments

Six 4in 50 calibre Mk VIII guns
Four 3pdr guns
Two 18in deck mounted torpedo tubes, port and starboard

Crew complement

317

Launched

20 March 1909

Completed

February 1910

Sold for breakup

May 1921

Captains

P.M.R. Royds (1915)
A.B.S. Dutton (1916)

Books on the First World War | Subject Index: First World War

How to cite this article: Rickard, J (19 September 2007), HMS Bellona , http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_HMS_Bellona.html

Help - F.A.Q. - Contact Us - Search - Recent - About Us -  Subscribe in a reader - Join our Google Group - Cookies