Truce of Champigny-sur-Veude, 21 November 1575

The Truce of Champigny-sur-Veude (21 November 1575) was the first attempt to end the Fifth War of Religion (1575-76) but the agreement was not ratified by most of the Huguenot leaders and the war dragged on into 1576.

The truce was arranged between Catherine de Medici and her son the Duke of Alençon, brother of King Henry III. Alençon had been held prisoner at his brother's court, but managed to escape from Paris on 13 September and had associated himself with the Huguenot cause. At this point the main Huguenot leader was Henry, prince of Condé, supported by Duke John Casimir in Germany, and by Marshal Damville Montmorency, a Catholic who had been alienated by Henry III's actions after his return to France in 1574.

Under the terms of the truce Alençon was to be given Angoulême, Niort, Saumur, Bourges and La Charité as security towns, while Condé was given Mézières. Casimir's German troops were to be paid 500,000 livres. Henry of Navarre was to be released.

Very few of these terms were ever carried out. The Governors of Angoulême and Bourges refused to hand their towns over, Navarre was not released, Condé and Casimir refused to ratify the terms and the German troops continued to gather around Saverne. The war continued into 1576, before finally being ended by the Edict of Beaulieu on 5 May 1576.

How to cite this article: Rickard, J (26 February 2011), Truce of Champigny-sur-Veude, 21 November 1575 , http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/truce_champigny.html

Help - F.A.Q. - Contact Us - Search - Recent - About Us -  Subscribe in a reader - Join our Google Group - Cookies