|Full Index||Subjects||Concepts||Country||Documents||Pictures & Maps|
The 88th Bombardment Group was a heavy bomber unit that served as a training unit based in the United States.
The group was constituted in January 1942 as part of the post-Pearl Harbor expansion of the US military, but it wasn't activated until July and didn't get its personnel until September 1942.
The group was equipped with the B-17 Flying Fortress. It was part of the Second Air Force from its formation until November 1943. In October-November 1942 it was used as an Operational Training Unit, but in December it became a replacement training unit, still in the Second Air Force. It continued to perform the same role after its transfer to the Third Air Force in November 1943.
The group and its four squadrons were all inactivated on 1 May 1944.
1942-44: Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
|28 January 1942||Constituted as 88th Bombardment Group (Heavy)|
|15 July 1942||Activated|
|1 May 1944||Inactivated|
Lt Col Edgar M Wittan:
1 Sep 1942
Lt Col Hewitt T Wheless: 1 Mar 1943
Lt Col William K Kincaid: 28 Oct 1943-1 May 1944.
Salt Lake City AAB, Utah:
15 Jul 1942
Geiger Field, Wash: 1 Sep 1942
Walla Walla, Wash: 21 Sep 1942
Rapid City AAR, SD: c. 28 Oct 1942
Walla Walla, Wash: c. 28 Nov 1942
Avon Park AAFld, Fla: Nov 1943-1 May 1944
316th Bombardment Squadron: 1942-44
317th Bombardment Squadron: 1942-44
318th Bombardment Squadron: 1942-44
399th Bombardment Squadron: 1942-44
July 1942-November 1943: Second Air Force
November 1943-May 1944: Third Air Force
||Save this on Delicious|
Help - F.A.Q. - Contact Us - Search - Recent - About Us - Subscribe in a reader
|Subscribe to History of War|
|Browse Archives at groups.google.co.uk|