The 76th Reconnaissance Group (USAAF) was a home based unit that operated alongside army units that were training in the United States.
The group was activated in February 1942 and given a wide range of aircraft. After training in both reconnaissance and the air support role the group helped with army training. From May to September 1943 it supported larger Second Army manoeuvres. From September 1943 until the group was disbanded in April 1944 it supported units training in the California-Arizona desert training area. This was a massive area, containing four major and five minor airfields, and at the time was the largest army training area in the world.
Bell P-39 Airacobra, Curtiss P-40 Warhawk, Douglas A-20 Boston/ Havoc, North American B-25 Mitchell, Stinson L-1 Vigilant, Piper L-4 Grasshopper, Stinson L-5 Sentinel, Interstate L-6 Grasshopper
|5 Feb 1942||Constituted as 76th Observation Group|
|27 Feb 1942||Activated|
|April 1943||Redesignated 76th Reconnaissance Group|
|August 1943||Redesignated 76th Tactical Reconnaissance Group|
|15 April 1944||Disbanded|
Lt Col H N Burkhalter:
Maj James E Ilgenfritz: c. 21 Jan 1943
Lt Col John T Shields: c. 18 Sep 1g43-unkn
Maj Klem F Kalberer, 1944
MacDill Field, Fla: 27 Feb
Key Field, Miss: c. 3 Mar 1942
Pope Field, NC: c. 28 Mar 1942
Vichy, Mo: Dec 1942
Morris Field, NC: May 1943
Thermal AAFM, Calif: Sep 1943-15 Apr 1944.
23rd: 1942-43, 1943-44