The 337th Fighter Group (USAAF) was a training group that served with the Third Air Force in the south-east of the United States from 1942 until 1944.
The group was constituted on 16 July 1942 and activated on 23 July 1942. It was equipped with a wide range of aircraft, although it was mainly used to train P-40 pilots in 1942-43 and P-51 pilots in 1944. The group was used to train replacements to fill gaps in existing units that had been deployed to the combat zone.
The group was disbanded on 1 May 1944 when the USAAF reorganised its training system, replacing numbered groups with Base units.
1942-1943: Curtiss P-40 Warhawk
1944: North American P-51 Mustang
|16 July 1942||Constituted as 337th Fighter Group|
|23 July 1942||Activated and assigned to Third Air Force|
|1 May 1944||Disbanded|
Lt Col James Ferguson:
27 Jul 1942
Col Charles Kegelman: 12 Nov 1943-1 May 1944
Morris Field, NC: 23 Jul
Drew Field, Fla: 7 Aug 1942
Sarasota, Fla: c. 3 Jan 1943-1 May 1944
Third Air Force