The 328th Fighter Group was a training unit based in the US South-West from 1942 until 1944.
The group was constituted on 24 June 1942 and activated on 10 July 1942. It joined the Fourth Air Force and was based in California for most of its existence. It formed part of the air defense force for the area and also as a replacement training unit for P-39 pilots.
The group was disbanded on 31 March 1944 early in a process that saw the USAAF change from a training scheme based on standard groups to one based on units organised around training bases.
1942-1944: Bell P-39 Airacobra
|24 June 1942||Constituted as 328th Fighter Group|
|10 July 1942||Activated and assigned to Fourth Air Force|
|31 March 1944||Disbanded|
Maj Frederick D
Granbo: 10 Jul 1942
Lt Col Harry N Renshaw: 11 Jan 1943
Lt Col Milton B Adams: 7 Jul 1943
Lt Col Kyle L Riddle: 13 Nov 1943
Col J C Crosthwaite: 4 Jan 1944
Col John W Weltman: 31 Jan-31 Mar 1944.
Hamilton Field, Calif: 10 Jul 1942-31 Mar 1944
1943-1944: San Francisco Fighter Wing; IV Fighter Command; Fourth Air Force