No. 9 Squadron (SAAF): Second World War

Aircraft - Locations - Group and Duty - Books

No.9 Squadron, S.A.A.F., was a short-lived fighter squadron that spend its entire existence in the Eastern Mediterranean.

The squadron was formed on 19 May 1944 in Egypt, but only received its Spitfires after moving to Syria. In June 1944 the squadron returned to Egypt, and was based at El Gamil from then until September 1944. Its main role was to protect the Suez Canal and the Egyptian coastline - although by that point the war had rather moved on the Germans were still present across the Mediterranean in Greece. The squadron also send detachments to Cyprus and the Palestine during this period.

In September 1944 the squadron moved to Savoia (Libya), from where it flew fighter sweeps over Crete (from December), before being disbanded on 1 February 1945.

Aircraft
June 1944-February 1945: Supermarine Spitfire Mk.VB and Mk.VC
July 1944-February 1945: Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IX

Location
May-June 1944: Almaza
June 1944: Minnick (ground only)
June-September 1944: El Gamil (air and ground)
     July-August 1944: Detachment to St. Jean
     July-September 1944: Detachment to Lakatamia
     September-November 1944: Detachment to Edku
September 1944-February 1945: Savoia

Squadron Codes: -

Duty
May 1944-February 1945: Fighter Squadron, Eastern Mediterranean

Books

-

Bookmark this page: Bookmark with Delicious  Delicious  Bookmark with Facebook  Facebook   Bookmark with StumbleUpon  StumbleUpon

How to cite this article: Rickard, J (pending), No. 9 Squadron (SAAF): Second World War, http://www.historyofwar.org/air/units/SAAF/9_wwII.html

Help - F.A.Q. - Contact Us - Search - Recent - About Us -  Subscribe in a reader - Join our Google Group - Cookies