No. 26 Squadron (SAAF): Second World War

Aircraft - Locations - Group and Duty - Links - Books

No.26 Squadron, S.A.A.F., was an Wellington equipped reconnaissance unit that flew anti-submarine patrols from West Africa from 1943 until the end of the war.

The squadron was formed at Voortrekkerhoogte on 24 August 1942 as a general bomber-reconnaissance squadron.

In May 1943 the squadron moved from South Africa to West Africa, with its main base at Takoradi (Ghana). By this date the squadron had received the Vickers Wellington XI, which used air-to-surface vessel (ASV) radar to synchronise the release of its payload. The squadron used its Wellingtons to fly anti-submarine patrols off the Western African coast from 29 May 1943 to 26 May 1945. Four days later its personnel embarked for South Africa.

Aircraft
May 1943-May 1945: Vickers Wellington XI

Location
25 August 1942-: Voortrekkerhoogte
May 1943-May 1945: Takoradi

Squadron Codes: E

Duty
August 1942-May 1943: Bomber-reconnaissance, South Africa
May 1943-May 1945: Anti-submarine patrols, West Africa

Links

Unofficial Site for No.26 Squadron, SAAF.

Books

-

Bookmark this page: Bookmark with Delicious  Delicious  Bookmark with Facebook  Facebook   Bookmark with StumbleUpon  StumbleUpon

How to cite this article: Rickard, J (4 November 2009), No. 26 Squadron (SAAF): Second World War, http://www.historyofwar.org/air/units/SAAF/26_wwII.html

Help - F.A.Q. - Contact Us - Search - Recent - About Us -  Subscribe in a reader - Join our Google Group - Cookies