Aircraft - Locations - Group and Duty - Books
No.431 "Iroquois" Squadron was a RCAF squadron which formed in Britain on 11 November 1942 as part of Bomber Command. The squadron began operations on 2 March 1943, as part of No.6 (RCAF) Group, and remained part of Bomber Command's main force for the rest of the war.
The squadron remained at Burn until July 1943, when it moved to Tholthorpe to convert to the Handley Page Halifax. It took its Halifaxes to Croft in December 1943, where it later converted to the Canadian built Lancaster X. The squadron returned to Canada in June 1945, and was disbanded on 5 September 1945 after the Japanese surrender.
December 1942-July 1943: Vickers Wellington X
July 1943-April 1944: Handley Page Halifax B.Mk V
March 1944-October 1944: Handley Page Halifax B.Mk III
October 1944-September 1945: Avro Lancaster B.Mk X
11 November 1942-15 July 1943: Burn
15 July-10 December 1943: Tholthorpe
10 December 1943-12 June 1945: Croft
Squadron Codes: SE
November-December 1942: No.4 Group, Bomber Command
January 1943-June 1945: No.6 (RCAF) Group, Bomber Command
|6 Group Bomber Command: An Operation Record, Chris Ward. This is a very detailed reference book that looks at the wartime service of the Canadian group in RAF Bomber Command. A detailed narrative history of the group is followed by a series of chapters on each squadron, with a brief history, list of stations, commanding officers and types of aircraft, and most impressively a list of every individual aircraft to serve with each squadron and its fate [read full review]|
|Battlefields in the Air: Canadians in the Allied Bomber Command, Dan McCaffery. A look at Bomber Command's controversial campaign against Germany, and the role played in it by the Canadian pilots of No.6 Group. McCaffery's well researched text is supported by eye witness accounts from both the Canadian air crew and the German targets of the bombing campaign.|