Aircraft - Locations - Group and Duty - Books
No.425 "Alouette" Squadron was a RCAF squadron formed in Britain on 25 June 1942 as part of No.4 Group of Bomber Command. Operations with the Vickers Wellington began on 5 October 1942, before on 1 January 1943 the squadron transferred to No.6 (RCAF) Group.
In May 1943 the squadron took its Wellington Xs to North Africa, to support the invasions of Sicily and Italy. At the end of October the squadron returned to Britain, leaving its Wellingtons behind and converting to the Halifax.
For the rest of the war the squadron operated as part of the main bomber force. Its last operation was flown on 25 April 1945, and the squadron was then withdrawn to convert to the Canadian built Lancaster B.Mk X. The war ended before these aircraft became operational, and in June 1945 No.425 returned to Canada.
July 1942-May 1943: Vickers Wellington III
March 1943-October 1943: Vickers Wellington X
December 1943 to May 1945: Handley Page Halifax B.Mk III
May 1945-September 1945: Avro Lancaster X
25 June 1942-15 May 1943: Dishforth
19 June-29 September 1943: Hairouan/ Zina
29 September-26 October 1943: Hani East
6 November-12 December 1943: Dishforth
12 December 1943-13 June 1945: Tholthorpe
Squadron Codes: KW
By December 1943: Bomber squadron with No 6 (RCAF) Group
Bookmark this page: Delicious Facebook StumbleUpon