Aircraft - Locations - Group and Duty - Books
No.419 'Moose' Squadron was a RCAF squadron formed on 15 December 1941 as a bomber squadron within Bomber Command. Operations with the Vickers Wellington began on 11 January 1942, and continued until November 1942, when the squadron converted to the Halifax.
Operations with the new machine began on 29 January 1943 and continued until the Canadian built Lancaster B.Mk X arrived in March 1944. The new aircraft entered action on 27 April 1944, and the squadron remained active until the end of the war in Europe.
In June 1945 No.419 Squadron was selected to be part of Tiger Force, the RAF's contribution to the air war against Japan. The squadron flew to Canada to prepare for the move to the Far East, but the war ended before Tiger Force was deployed, and the squadron was disbanded on 5 September 1945.
January-November 1942: Vickers Wellington IC
February-November 1942: Vickers Wellington III
November 1942 to March 1944: Handley Page Halifax B.Mk II
March 1944-September 1945: Avro Lancaster X
15 December 1941-12 August 1942: Mildenhall
12-18 August 1942: Leeming
18 August-30 September 1942: Topcliffe
30 September-9 November 1942: Croft
9 November 1942-4 June 1945: Middleton St. George
Squadron Codes: VR
Bookmark this page: Delicious Facebook StumbleUpon