Aircraft - Locations - Group and Duty - Books
No.336 Squadron was a Greek manned fighter squadron that provided shopping protection from 1943 until 1944, before moving to Italy and later Greece to operate over the Balkans and the Aegean.
The squadron was formed in the Western Desert on 25 February 1943, where it flew shipping protection missions alongside an earlier Greek squadron, No.335. The two squadrons operated in similar roles for the rest of the war.
No.336 Squadron moved to Italy in September 1944, from where it flew fighter sweeps across the Balkans. In November both Greek squadrons moved onto home soil, and they spent the rest of the war flying sweeps over the remaining isolated German bases in the Aegean and on Crete.
No.336 Squadron moved to Salonika in May 1945, and was disbanded on 31 July 1946.
February 1943-May 1944: Hawker Hurricane IIC
January 1944-July 1946: Supermarine Spitfire VB and VC
February-April 1943: LG.219
April 1943-January 1944: LG.121
January-March 1944: El Adem
March-April 1944: Bu Amud
April-July 1944: Mersa Matruh
July-September 1944: El Adem
September-November 1944: Nuova
November 1944: Grottaglie
November 1944-May 1945: Hassani
May-July 1945: Sedes
Squadron Codes: -
1943-September 1944: Shipping protection, Libya
September-November 1944: Fighter Sweeps, Balkans
November 1944 onwards: Fighter Sweeps over Aegean from Greece
10 July 1943: No.219 Group; Air Defences Eastern Mediterranean; Mediterranean Air Command