Aircraft - Locations - Group and Duty - Books
No.270 Squadron was a flying boat squadron that provided anti-submarine cover off the coast of West Africa. The squadron was formed at Jui, Gambia, on 12 November 1942, and was equipped with the Consolidated Catalina. The squadron moved to Nigeria in July 1943, where at the end of 1943 it began to replace its Catalinas with Sunderlands. The last Catalinas went in May 1944, and the squadron operated the Sunderland until the end of the war. In general the anti-submarine squadrons in West Africa had a quiet war, but their ceaseless patrols helped to keep the area safe from U-boat attack.
November 1942-May 1944: Consolidated Catalina IB
December 1943-June 1945: Short Sunderland III
November 1942-July 1943: Jui
July 1943-June 1945: Apapa
Squadron Codes: -
1942-1945: Anti-submarine warfare, West Africa