Aircraft - Locations - Group and Duty - Books
No.262 Squadron was a flying boat squadron that was based in South Africa from 1942 until it was transferred to the S.A.A.F. in 1945. The squadron was formed on 29 September 1942 at Liverpool, and its personnel immediately set sail for South Africa.
The squadron reached Durban on 5 November, and moved into its main base at Congella one week later. The first Catalina flying boat arrived on 21 February 1943, and patrols over the Indian Ocean began on 26 February. As the number of available aircraft increased the squadron's area of operations expanded to include the area around the Cape of Good Hope. The seaways around Durban became increasingly full of shipping, to such an extent that it began to interfere with operations. The flying boats were moved to Langebaan and St. Lucia (Zululand), then in November 1944 into Lake Umsingazi.
The squadron had now been in South Africa for two years, and most of its crews and ground crew were South African. According, on 15 February 1945 the squadron was renumbered as No.35 Squadron, S.A.A.F.
February 1943-February 1945: Consolidated Catalina IB
September 1944-February 1945: Consolidated Catalina IV
November 1942-February 1945: Congella
Squadron Codes: F, B2
1942-1945: Flying boat squadron, South Africa
||Save this on Delicious|
Help - F.A.Q. - Contact Us - Search - Recent - About Us - Subscribe in a reader
|Subscribe to History of War|
|Browse Archives at groups.google.co.uk|