Aircraft - Locations - Group and Duty - Books
No.246 Squadron went through two incarnations during the Second World War. It had originally been formed in 1918 from a number of RNAS units, and in August 1942 it was reformed as part of Coastal Command. It began anti-submarine patrols on 12 December 1942, flying the Short Sunderland, but disbanded after only four months.
The squadron was reformed nearly two years later, as part of Transport Command. This new version of the squadron operated long distance transport services from Britain to the Middle and Far East. The squadron survived until 15 October 1946, when it was merged with No.511 Squadron.
October 1942-April 1943: Short Sunderland II and III
October 1944-November 1945: Consolidated Liberator
November 1944-February 1945: Handley Page Halifax III
December 1944-October 1946: Avro York C.1
April 1945-July 1945: Douglas Skymaster
5 August 1942-30 April 1943: Bowmore
11 October 1944-1 December 1944: Lyneham
1 December 1944-15 October 1946: Holmsley South
Squadron Codes: G
October 1944-October 1946: Transport Command
Bookmark this page: Delicious Facebook StumbleUpon