Aircraft - Locations - Group and Duty - Books
No.178 Squadron was a heavy bomber squadron that spent the entire Second World War operating in the Mediterranean. It was formed on 15 January 1943 at Shandur, Egypt, around a nucleus from No.160 Squadron, and managed the very rare feat of carrying out its first combat mission on the very same day.
The squadron followed the Allied armies as they advanced through Libya, before on 1 March 1944 moving to Italy, remaining there for the rest of the war. As well as carrying out bombing missions over North Africa, Italy and the Balkans, the squadron was used to drop supplies to partisans, even reaching as far as Poland on occasions. The squadron was disbanded without ever serving in Britain.
January-December 1943: Consolidated Liberator II
May-September 1943: Handley Page Halifax II
September-December 1943: Consolidated Liberator III
December 1943-November 1945: Consolidated Liberator VI
15 January-4 March 1943: Shandur (Egypt)
4 March-1 October 1943: Hosc Raui (Ghemines) (Libya)
1 October 1943-1 January 1944: Terria (Libya)
1 January-1 March 1944: El Adem (Libya)
1 March-4 July 1944: Celone (Italy)
4 July 1944-25 August 1945: Amendola (Foggia basin, Italy)
Squadron Codes: C, Q, Y, T
January 1943-May 1945: Bomber squadron, Mediterranean Command
Bookmark this page: Delicious Facebook StumbleUpon