Aircraft - Locations - Group and Duty - Books
No.33 Squadron (RAAF) was a transport squadron that served in the south-west Pacific from 1942 until the end of the Second World War. The squadron was formed in February 1942 at Townsville, and at first was equipped with Empire flying boats. Over the next few months these larger aircraft were joined by smaller land planes, including Tiger Moths (capable of carrying only 77kg of cargo), Avro Ansons and Dragons.
In January 1943 the squadron moved to Port Moresby. It was used to fly supplies to Australian forces fighting in the jungles of New Guinea, including on the Kokoda trail. In October 1943 the squadron converted to the Douglas Dakota, the workhorse of Allied transport units. It operated this aircraft for the rest of the war, flying transport missions and carrying freight all around the south west Pacific area.
At the end of the war the squadron was used to carry POWs and Allied troops back to Australia. The squadron disbanded in May 1946.
February 1942-: Empire flying boats
Later 1943: Empire flying boats, Dragons, Ansons, Tiger Moths
October 1943 onwards: Douglas Dakota
February 1942-: Townsville
January 1943: Port Moresby
Squadron Codes: -
1942-43: Transport Squadron, Australia
1943 onwards: Transport Squadron, New Guinea