Aircraft - Locations - Group and Duty - Books
No.101 Squadron, IAF, was a short-lived coastal defence squadron, formed in April 1942 and disbanded in November.
The squadron was formed from No.1 Coast Defence Flight on 1 April 1942, and was equipped a mix of Hawker Hart biplanes and five Armstrong Whitworth Atalantas, a four-engined transport aircraft. The Atalanta equipped No.1 Flight, and was used for longer range coastal reconnaissance and anti-submarine patrols.
Two of the five Atalantas were destroyed in accidents while operating with the squadron. Aurora (military serial DG454) was forced to land in a swamp in April 1942 and was deliberately burnt when it became clear that she couldn't be retrieved. Atalanta (DG451) was destroyed when she swung off the runway while attempting to land at St Thomas' Mount on 28 August 1942. A third aircraft was withdrawn in September 1942, and the remaining two were used as transport aircraft before being struck off charge in June 1944.
No.101 Squadron only outlived Atalanta by three months. On 30 November 1942 the squadron was disbanded to provide trained personnel for new squadrons.
April-November 1942: Armstrong Whitworth Atalanta
April-October 1942: Hawker Hart
April-October 1942: de Havilland Leopard Moth
August-November 1942: de Havilland Tiger Moth
April-November 1942: St. Thomas Mount
Squadron Codes: -
1942: Coastal reconnaissance and anti-submarine patrols