The G-series was the most important of the Ju 88 fighter series. It entered production late in 1943, overlapping with the last of the R-series. The vast majority of Ju 88 fighters were built during 1944 (2,518 out of a total of 3,964), all most of those aircraft were from the G-series, as were all 355 fighters built during 1945. Eleven major night fighter units used the Ju 88G.
The G-series was powered by two BMW 801 radial engines. It used the tail of the Ju 188, improving its directional stability. It had no ventral gondola. The V-58 prototype was developed from the spring of 1943. It had 1,700hp engines, FuG 212 radar and carried six 20mm MG 151 cannon, two in the starboard nose and four in an under-fuselage pod. Ammo was carried in the forward bomb bay, with fuel in the rear bay. The new design was ordered into production before the prototype had entered testing, a gamble that for once paid off. The Ju 88G helped the Luftwaffe inflict very heavy losses on RAF Bomber Command in the first part of 1944.
The G-1 entered production late in 1943. At first it carried the same six cannons as the prototypes, but the two nose mounted guns were later removed because of muzzle flash. The G-1 featured larger ailerons, to improve manoeuvrability, and had extra fuel tanks within the wings. Some carried the Schrage Musik vertically mounted cannon, carried in the rear fuselage.
The G-1 entered combat in December 1943. For six months it maintained a technological advantage, with new FuG 220 and FuG 227 radar equipment, but on 13 July 1944 one aircraft landed at RAF Woodbridge, having flown backwards along a compass bearing. The aircraft was captured intact, and the secrets of the new radar soon discovered.
G-2 to G-5
The G-6 entered production in the middle of 1944. It was powered by 1,750hp Jumo 213A engines, and had a top speed of 360mph, an increase of 25mph on the G-1. It carried four 20mm cannon in a pod under the fuselage. It carried the full range of radar equipment available to the Luftwaffe in 1944-5, including the FuG 220, 218, 350 and possibly the FuG 240. It entered combat in late 1944, too late to have any impact on the war.
The G-7 was the last of the standard Ju 88 night fighters. It is not entirely clear if it entered service, but if it did it was in tiny numbers and too late to have any impact on the fighting. It was powered by Jumo 213E-1 engines with MW 50 water-methanol boost. It used the extended wings designed for the Ju 188. It was armed with the same guns as the G-6 and would have carried the full range of late war German radar, ending with the FuG 240 Berlin. This was the most advanced German radar set of the war, but only a tiny number reached the front line – perhaps as few as ten reached the Ju 88.
The G-10 was to be a very long range night fighter, based on the G-6 but with a longer fuselage to allow the carriage of extra fuel. A small number were completed, but then diverted to the Mistel project to act as the lower flying bomber part of that weapon.
Engine: Jumo 213A-1
Span: 65ft 7.5in
Max Speed: 360 mph
Ceiling: 31,515 ft
Range: 1,364 miles
Crew: Three, sometimes four to cope with extra equipment.
Introduction - Bomber - Fighter - Ju 88A - Ju 88B - Ju 88C - Ju 88D - Ju 88G - Ju 88H - Ju 88P - Ju 88R - Ju 88S - Ju 88T