The Morane-Saulnier M.S.315 was a parasol wing two-seat primary trainer that was produced in significant numbers and served with the Armée de l'Air and the Aéronavale.
Development of the design began with the M.S.300 of 1930, a parasol wing aircraft powered by a 95hp Salmson engine. This was followed by the M.S.301 which was powered by the 100hp Lorraine 5Pa engine and then by the obscure M.S.302.
The M.S.315 made its maiden flight in October 1932. It was powered by a 135hp Salmson 9Nc radial engine and had a high parasol wing. It had divided main landing gear. It had a high mounted swept back parasol wing, with one cockpit under the trailing edge and the other just behind. Four prototypes were built. They were followed by 346 production aircraft, of which 33 were built after the Second World War. Five M.S.315/2 aircraft were built for the civil market, and were given more powerful engines. A single M.S.316 was built, using a Regnier inverted V engine. In 1960-62 some surviving aircraft were re-engined and given the designation M.S.317.
The M.S.315 was used as the main primary trainer of the Armée de l'Air. It was also used by the Aéronavale and in civil flying schools. It was also a popular aircraft at air shows. A large number survived the Second World War, and at least forty were used as civil glider tugs (these were the aircraft that became the M.S.317).
Engine: Salmson 9Nc radial
Wing span: 39ft 4 1/2in
Length: 24ft 11 1/4in
Height: 9ft 2 1/4in
Empty Weight: 1,208lb
Maximum Take-off Weight: 1,896lb
Max Speed: 106mph
Service Ceiling: 18,045ft