The Albatros C.XII saw the first major change in the configuration of the Albatros two-seater scouts and combined features from the previous C.X and their later D-class single seat fighters, in particular the D.V.
The C.XII was similar in size to the earlier C.X, and was powered by the same 260hp Mercedes D.IVa inline engine, neatly cowled and matched with a well-designed spinner. The wings were similar to those of the C.X, with almost the same span, nearly equal spans, ailerons on all four wing tips, two bays and angled wing tips. The C.XII used the standard Albatros construction, with wooden frames and a plywood covering for the fuselage and wooden spars and ribs with a fabric covering for the wings. The fuselage shape was inspired by the D.V - the slab sided profile used on earlier C class scouts was replaced with an oval profile. This reduced the amount of vertical surfaces on the aircraft and so a small dorsal fin was added under the tail. The horizontal tail surfaces were reduced in size and lost their almost semi-circular profile.
Despite the more refined fuselage the C.XII had almost exactly the same performance as the C.X, with a very similar top speed and climb rate, both determined largely by the combination of wings and engine. The C.XII entered service late in 1917 and remaining in use throughout 1918, serving as a scout and artillery spotter aircraft.
Engine: Mercedes D.IVa inline piston engine
Span: 47ft 1.75in
Length: 29ft 0.5in
Height: 10ft 8in
Empty weight: 2,251lb
Maximum take-off weight: 3,613lb
Max speed: 109mph
Climb rate: 5 minutes to 3,280ft
Service ceiling: 16,405ft
Endurance: 3 hours 15 minutes
Armament: One flexibly mounted 7.92mm Parabellum machine gun, one fixed forward mounted 7.92mm LMG 08/15, small bombload carried on external racks