The Siemens-Schuckert Werke S.S.W. D V was a two-bay biplane based on the earlier S.S.W. D III/ D IV series. Like those aircraft it had a circular fuselage, build around four longerons, with circular bulkheads and a plywood covering, and was powered by the Siemens Halske Sh III rotary engine, an unusual design in which the crankshaft span in the opposite direction to the cylinders. This meant that the propeller speed was lower (and thus more efficient) than the overall speed of the engine and also reduced the amount of spin produced by the engine.
The D V differed from earlier aircraft in the series by having two bay wings. All three prototypes were complete by August 1918, and the D V took part in the second D Type fighter competition, an attempt to find newer and more powerful fighter aircraft. The D V was no faster than the D IV, and its climb rate was slightly slower, and it wasn't ordered into production. One of the three prototypes was lost in a crash, and the other two were rebuilt as D IVs.
Engine: Siemens Halske Sh III
Span: 29ft 0 7/8in
Length: 18ft 8 3/8in
Empty weight: 1,131lb
Loaded weight: 1,615lb
Maximum take-off weight:
Climb Rate: 1.8min to 3,280ft; 7.3min to 9,840ft
Armament: Two Spandau machine guns