The 84th Fighter Group served as a training unit from 1942-1944.
The group was constituted as the 84th Bombardment Group (Light) on 13 January 1942 and activated on 10 February 1942. As the nature of close air support changed so did its title, so it became the 84th Bombardment Group (Dive) in July 1942 and the 84th Fighter-Bomber Group in August 1943.
The group was initially allocated to the Third Air Force in the US south-east, then moved to the Second Air Force in November 1943. It operated the A-24 in 1942-43 and the P-47 in 1943-44. It was mainly used as an operational training unit and a replacement training unit, before being disbanded on 1 April 1944.-
1942-1943: Douglas A-24 Banshee (SBD Dauntless )
1943-1944: Republic P-47 Thunderbolt
|13 January 1942||Constituted as 84th Bombardment Group (Light)|
|10 February 1942||Activated and assigned to Third Air Force|
|July 1942||Redesignated as 84th Bombardment Group (Dive)|
|August 1943||Redesignated as 84th Fighter Bomber Group|
|November 1943||To Second Air Force|
|1 April 1944||Disbanded|
Maj Augustus Nelson:
10 Feb 1942
Col Philo G Meisenholder: Mar 1942
Lt Col Harry R Melton Jr: Aug 1942
Lt Col John R Kelly: Dec 1942
Lt Col Paul A Zartman: 31 Jan 1943
Col Reginald F C Vance: 15 Aug 1943
Lt Col William D Gilchrist: Sep 1943-1944.
Savannah AB, Ga: 10 Feb
Drew Field, Fla: c. 7 Feb 1943
Harding Field, La: 4 Oct 1943-1 Apr 1944
1943-November 1943: Third Air Force
November 1943-44: 72nd Fighter Wing, Second Air Force