The 426th Reconnaissance Group (USAAF) was a home-based unit that was never fully organised, despite being officially activated on 1 July 1943.
Four squadrons were allocated to the group, but on 15 August it was disbanded. Two of the squadrons shared the same fate, and two were transferred to other commands.
The 44th and 46th Reconnaissance Squadrons were disbanded on 15 August 1943 without receiving aircraft or men.
The 45th Reconnaissance Squadron was moved to III Reconnaissance Command on 11 August 1943, when it was redesignated as the 32nd Photographic Reconnaissance Squadron, and remained in existence until 1945.
The 47th Liaison Squadron was transferred to II Air Support Command on 11 August and remained in existence until 1948.
|25 June 1943||Constituted as 426th Reconnaissance Group|
|1 July 1943||Activated, assigned to Third AF|
|15 August 1943||Disbanded|
Gainesville AAFld, Tex: 1 July-15 August 1943
44th, 45th, 46th, 47th: 1943
1943: Third Air Force