The 338th Fighter Group (USAAF) was a training unit that served with the Third Air Force from 1942 until 1944.
The group was constituted on 16 July 1942 and activated on 22 July 1942. at first it was used to train replacement pilots for a range of aircraft, including the P-39, P-40, P-47 and P-51, to fill gaps in existing combat units.
In September 1943 the group got rid of all of its aircraft apart from the P-47, which it operated for the rest of its existence.
The group was disbanded on 1 May 1944, as the USAAF changed its training system from one based on numbered groups to one based on Base Units.
1942-September 1943: Bell P-39 Airacobra, Curtiss P-40 Warhawk, Republic P-47 Thunderbolt, North American P-51 Mustang
September 1943-May 1944: Republic P-47 Thunderbolt
|16 July 1942||Constituted as 338th Fighter Group|
|22 July 1942||Activated and assigned to Third Air Force|
|1 May 1944||Disbanded|
2nd Lt Alfred T Bishop: 23 Jul 1942
Maj Robert B Richard: 7 Sep 1942
Col Lee Q Wasser: 18 Sep 1942
Lt Col Robert B Richard: 5 May 1943
Lt Col Oswald W Lunde: 10 Aug 1943
Lt Col Dale D Brannon: 11 Jan-1 May 194
Dale Mabry Field: Fla, 22 Jul 1942-1 May 1944