The 329th Fighter Group (USAAF) was a training unit that served with the US Fourth Air Force from 1942 to 1944.
The group was constituted as the 329th Fighter Group on 24 June 1942 and activated on 10 July 1942. It was allocated to the Fourth Air Force, in the US South-West, although it spent most of the first two months of its existence based in Washington State, in Second Air Force territory. After that it was based in California for the rest of its existence.
The group was equipped with the P-38 Lightning. It was used both to train replacement pilots to fill gaps in existing units, and to train larger cadres that were used to form new groups.
The group was disbanded on 31 March 1944, when the USAAF altered the way it organised its training units, replacing numbered groups with units built around individual training bases.
1942-1944: Lockheed P-38 Lightning
|24 June 1942||Constituted as 329th Fighter Group|
|10 July 1942||Activated and assigned to Fourth Air Force|
|31 March 1944||Disbanded|
Maj Ernest W Keating:
12 Jul 1942
Maj Harold E Kofahl: 8 Nov 1942
Maj Leo F Dusard: 18 Dec 1942
Lt Col Paul W Blanchard: c. 14 Feb 1943
Lt Col Leo F Dusard: 11 May 1943
Lt Col John P Randolph: 26 Oct 1943-31 Mar 1944
Hamilton Field, Calif: 10 Jul
Paine Field, Wash: 14 Jul 1942
Glendale, Calif: 11 Sep 1942
Ontario AAFld, Calif: 27 Feb-31 Mar 1944.
1943-44: Los Angeles Fighter Wing; IV Fighter Command; Fourth Air Force