Aircraft - Locations - Group and Duty - Books
No.41 Transport Squadron (RNZAF) was the second transport squadron formed with the RNZAF. It was used to provide a regular link between New Zealand and Guadalcanal, originally using aircraft inherited from No.40 Squadron.
During 1943 the Lockheed Hudson was replaced in frontline service by the Lockheed Ventura. The remaining Hudsons were used as troop transports, and originally went to No.40 Squadron.
In August 1944 No.41 Squadron was formed, and was equipped with the C-60 Lodestars and Hudsons of No.4o Squadron, which continued to operate the C-47 Dakota.
By November 1944 the new squadron was providing ten regular flights between New Zealand and Guadalcanal each week.
In the first half of 1945 the RNZAF gained another twenty Dakotas. As they arrived they were used to replace the Lodestars and Hudsons.
By the end of September 1945 a total of 37,000 personnel, 4,000,000lb of freight and 1,500,000lb of mail had passed through Whenuapai.
After the end of the war the two transport squadrons helped transport New Zealand service personnel back from the South-West Pacific theatre.
1944-45: Lockheed Hudson, C-60 Lodestar
1945: Douglas C-47 Dakota
1944 onwards: Whenuapai (Auckland, New Zealand)