Aircraft - Locations - Group and Duty - Books
No.352 Squadron was the first Yugoslav-manned fighter squadron formed in the Mediterranean and was used for fighter escort and ground attack missions over Yugoslavia.
The squadron was formed at Benina on 22 April 1944. At first it was equipped with the Hurricane, but these were replaced with Spitfires in June, two months before the squadron moved to Italy to join No.281 Wing, Balkan Air Force. It was joined by a second Yugoslav squadron, No.351, in September, and the two squadrons operated in a similar way for the rest of the war.
No.352 Squadron was used for a mix of missions, spending part of its time providing fighter escorts for fighter-bomber units and the rest flying ground attack missions.
As with No.351, No.352 squadron used the island of Vis as an advanced operating base. On 1 January 1945 the entire air echelon moved to the island, before in mid-April the entire squadron was reunited at the liberated airfield of Prkos on the Yugoslav coast.
The squadron continued to operate until the end of the war, and was disbanded on 15 June 1945.
April-July 1944: Hawker Hurricane IIC
June 1944-June 1945: Supermarine Spitfire VC
April-May 1944: Benina
May-August 1944: Lete
August 1944-January 1945: Canne
October 1944-January 1945: Detachment to Vis
January-April 1945: Vis
April-June 1945: Prkos
Squadron Codes: C
1944-1945: Fighter escort and ground attack
Part of: No.281 Wing; Balkan Air Force