Aircraft - Locations - Group and Duty - Books
No.177 Squadron was a Beaufighter-equipped ground attack squadron that operated over Burma from early in 1943 until the end of the Second World War. The squadron was formed on 28 November 1942 while its personnel were still at sea coming to India from the UK. The squadron began to assemble at Amarda Road on 11 January 1943, and moved to Allahabad in mid-March. The aircraft were detached to No.27 Squadron while they waited for their aircraft, while the ground crew served with No.308 MU.
The first Beaufighters arrived in May 1943, but it took several months for the squadron to become operational, and its first ground attack mission didn’t come until 10 September 1943. Attacks on enemy shipping, railways and ports were carried out until May 1944, when the squadron withdrew to India to prepare for the introduction of rockets. The squadron returned to the Burma front in August 1944, and resumed its ground attack duties. Actions included a large scale attack on a Japanese coastal convoy heading for Rangoon in September 1944.
In May 1945 the squadron was used to support the amphibious landings at Rangoon, before being withdrawn from operations and disbanded on 5 July 1945.
May 1943-August 1944: Bristol Beaufighter VI
November 1943-July 1945: Bristol Beaufighter X and XI
January-March 1943: Amarda Road
Marcy-May 1943: Allahabad
May-August 1943: Phaphamau
August 1943: Chittagong
August 1943-May 1944: Feni
May-August 1944: Ranchi
August 1944-June 1945: Chiringa (Chakeri, SE Bangladesh)
June-July 1945: Hathazari
Squadron Codes: H
1943-1945: Ground Attack, Burma Front