The NF Mk XIX was a further development of the NF Mk XIII. Like the earlier aircraft it was based on the FB VI fuselage, and could take fuel drop tanks. It was powered by the Merlin 25 engine. The NF Mk XIX had a universal nose that could carry either British or American radar equipment. The NF Mk 30 was very similar to the Mk XIX, but was designed for higher altitude.
The NF Mk XIX entered service with No. 157 Squadron in May 1944 and saw service with six squadrons during the war. Post war three more squadrons were equipped with the type, the last being No. 500 Squadron of the Auxiliary Air Force, which used the type in 1947-8.
Return to Mosquito index