Handley Page Halifax A Mk IX (HP 71)
The final version of the Halifax was build expressly for Airborne Forces. It had the same glider tow hook as was normal in the airborne variants, and the capacity to carry sixteen paratroops. Parachute exit was via a hatch in the floor. Defensive firepower was provided by a Boulton Paul D turret at the rear of the aircraft, mounting two .5in Browning machine guns. 145 Mk IXs were constructed, but the type entered service in November 1945, after the end of the war. It remained in RAF service until 1948.
Halifax Squadrons of World War II , Jon Lake.
This is a very good book on the combat record of the Handley Page Halifax. It covers much more than just its role as a front line bomber, with chapters on the Halifax with Coastal Command, the Pathfinders and SOE, amongst others. [see more
How to cite this article:
Rickard, J (16 May 2007), Handley Page Halifax A Mk IX (HP 71), http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_halifax_mkIX.html