The Curtiss Mohawk III was the designation given to twenty Hawk H75A-3s originally ordered by France but taken over by the RAF after the fall of France.
The H75A-3 was powered by a 1,200hp Pratt & Whitney R-1830-S1C3G engine, and was armed with six 7.5mm machine guns, two in the nose and four in the wings. 135 were ordered for France, and deliveries began in February 1940. Sixty reached France, some went to French Morocco and twenty were taken over by the RAF. These aircraft were given British equipment and the designation Mohawk III.
At least one Mohawk III was used by the RAF in Britain, serving with No.510 Squadron at Hendon. This was a light transport and communication unit, and was renamed as the Metropolitan Communications Squadron on 8 April 1944. The remaining aircraft were given to Portugal and South Africa.